Evaluate and aggregate different risk typologies to assess their cumulative impact on the whole organization.
Why a Master in Master in Management and Technology – Risk Management and Insurance?
Every department in every business has experienced deep changes in the market and external environment, pushing companies to face unforeseen challenges with unpredictable ramifications. Many of the factors causing these challenges have not been integrated into the strategic planning process. Consider these points,
- 59% of executives believe the volume and complexity of risks have changed extensively and among them only 25% believe their organization has a “complete formal risk management process in place.”
- With these increasingly complex dynamics shaping the marketplace, the integration between risk management and strategy is a key priority for companies.
- Being prepared and trained to address disruptive and contingency events, to take informed strategic decisions and to ensure effective hedging solutions are important objectives for leading firms in many industries.
The major in Risk Management and Insurance develops talent with the strategic capabilities and managerial competences to implement risk analysis, assessment and management. It prepares students to make strategic decisions and create recovery plans, with a particular focus on the insurance market.
(1) Source: Current State of Enterprise Risk Management: Update on Trends and Opportunities. Report 2015
The objectives of the major in Risk Management and Insurance are to help students learn how to:
- Provide a comprehensive overview of the dynamics emerging in the risk management field
- Evaluate and aggregate risk typologies to assess their cumulative impact on the organization
- Prepare the company to respond to threats and seize opportunities deriving from unexpected external events
- Diffuse and consolidate a risk culture as a fundamental strategic asset, through the development of risk norms, penetrating corporate processes and governance mechanisms at different organizational levels
- Assess and evaluate insurance needs and implement effective solutions, involving and aligning the entire organization
- Develop the capacity to protect the company Web Reputation and face reputational distress and crisis
- Extract, clean, interpret, communicate and protect information coming from complex risk data analysis
- Understand the threats of Cyber Risk and the protection methodologies expected by Cyber Law
- Master cutting-edge managerial techniques and specific cross-field competencies. Participants will develop soft skills and leadership capabilities, complemented by values such as ethics and social responsibility
Learning methods and key courses
- Top managerial education
- Combination of lectures and labs
- Field project
- Focus on Risk Management and Insurance
- Understand environmental change dynamics, assess risk typologies and diffuse risk hedging culture
The Master is aimed at recent graduates who want to integrate robust theoretical training with a strong practical knowledge of emerging trends in the risk management field. Fluency in English and high motivation are essential requirements for admission.
The Master in Management and Technology lasts 12 months and is divided into four terms. To access each term, students are required to successfully pass exams. After the Induction Week, the term 1 focuses on General Management courses to provide strong business and economics fundamentals. During the terms 2 and 3, students will learn the cornerstones of risk management, mapping causes and effects of the existing risk typologies on firm health, growth and sustainability.
The Career Service and Learning Lab activities will take place throughout the second and the third terms. The term 4 is dedicated to the Field Project during which students will put their knowledge into practice.
Each term is described in detail below:
The Induction Week enables students to get to know their classmates and the team at LUISS Business School. It includes several workshops focused on:
- Megatrends and global scenarios
- Main learning methodologies
- Business case cracking
- Effective personal brand identity development
- Making the most of modern digital tools
Students have the chance to meet the main teams that they will interact with during the Master:
- Career Services
- Class CoordinatorsCorporate Relations
- International Exchange Programs
- Marketing Services
International Students have the opportunity to attend an intensive Italian Course before the Induction Week.
TERM 1 GENERAL MANAGEMENT
In this period, the cornerstones of business processes and functions will be outlined, providing students with a solid foundation and an overall standpoint of the business organization as a whole.
- Accounting & Financial Management
- Economics of Strategy
- Organization & HR Management
- Quantitative Methods
TERM 2 CORE COURSES
- Enterprise Risk Management and Planning@Risk
- Reputational Risk
- Risk Assessment and Internal Control
- Risk Management – Back to Basics
TERM 3 ADVANCED COURSES
- Credit Risk
- Cyber Risk and Cyber Law
- Insurance Risk
- Interest Risk
- Liquidity Risk
- Market Risk
- Operational Risk
TERM 4 FIELD PROJECT
The Field Project is the last mandatory part of the program which represents a great opportunity for students to apply the knowledge and competences acquired during the Master’s program. Each type of filed project helps students to accelerate their career advancement. Students will combine theory and practice, build professional connections, gain relevant work experience, strengthen their creative and analytical skills and increase their future employability.
The Field Project can be one of the following:
- Internship: From educational training to the job reality. Students participate in an internship that will follow the educational program. Each Master’s program offers various internship options with different requirements to work in companies and organizations.
- Entrepreneurial Project: Students develop their own business idea: from idea creation to the business plan and go-to-market.
- Research Project: Students develop a research-based project on a subject identified together with the Faculty.
Pierluca Impronta, Chairman and CEO, MAG – JLT Spa
Learning Labs focus on personal development. Students develop cross-functional and soft skills by attending sessions during which they will:
- Cultivate intellectual flexibility
- Develop problem solving skills
- Learn to adapt in diverse situations
- Refine cross-cultural awareness
Entrepreneurial innovation is everywhere, ranging from start-ups, incubators and accelerators to “corporate entrepreneurship” projects to social entrepreneurship. That is why we design a unique AdVenture Experience.
The Lab includes conventional class sessions, case discussions, meetings with business angels, venture capitalists, serial entrepreneurs and other leading personalities of the Italian entrepreneurial ecosystem. Everything is oriented toward building your skills through the development of a real entrepreneurial plan. You work together with the teaching staff and mentors, who are expert in turning challenges and innovative ideas into a business plan and innovative new projects.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT LAB
The Project Management Lab identifies the project characteristics: objectives, stakeholders and organization. It provides students with the skills to formalize the project scope, create the work breakdown structure (WBS) and manage processes and tools.
DIGITAL SKILLS LAB
This is a technical training Lab that allows students to learn software tools, online services and social media beyond the limits of personal use. Students can boost their productivity in daily work practices through exercises and group activities to enhance their understanding of technical tools that lighten processes and reduce workload.
GOING GLOBAL LAB
We prepare students to successfully face challenges of a global market, and this requires the development of knowledge and cross-cultural skills needed to interact and work in international context.
SOFT SKILLS LAB
Through the Soft Skills Lab, students develop competencies and skills to face business challenges. The Lab helps students explore how to engage effectively in organizations and to discover their limits and capabilities. Key skills learned include teamwork and team-building, effective communication skills, negotiation skills and leadership.
SOCIAL & ENVIROMENTAL IMPACT LAB
Leadership requires a wide vision of business. Ethics, responsibility and sustainability are three dimensions that managers must embrace and understand to achieve better leadership, stronger stakeholder relationships, a long-term perspective and more efficient resource management. For that reason, we offer students the chance to apply their creativity to solve real problems encountered by NGOs, social entrepreneurs and institutions. Students participate in helping these organizations to bridge social and environmental impact and the business economy.